Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My No-Fail Pork Loin

I'm always looking for new recipes to try. One day my dad asked me if I've ever made a pork loin. "Ummm... yeah no," I told him. "That just doesn't sound as good as eating a plate of spaghetti." He told me that the key to this recipe was a probe, and that I could make a marinaded pork loin that would be moist and flavorful and come out perfect every time. I still wasn't convinced. For one, I really didn't know what a probe was, and two, I didn't even have one. And three, well, it just didn't sound exciting. One weekend while visiting him, my dad actually went out and bought me a probe and a pork loin, made it, and asked me to try it. I was SOLD! I was sold on what I thought was such an odd piece of meat. It was EXACTLY as he said: Moist and Flavorful! It was such a "No-Fail" way to make it, that I made it for company tonight. Up above is the picture of the pork loin that was made in my own cucina with my own probe. Except this time "I" bought the pork loin! Well, technically my husband did.


The key to this meal is... it's not how long you cook it for... it's simply cooking it to the internal temperature of 140 degrees. When the probe "dings"... it's done. To perfection. 


What's a probe? It's actually a meat thermometer that has a metal probe with a sharp point which is pushed into the meat, and has a dial or a digital display. (See picture below) The idea of a meat thermometer is like the pop-up timer on a turkey. The kind of probe that I have uses an electronic sensor in the probe, connected by a flexible heat-resistant cable to a display. The probe is inserted in the meat, and the cable comes out of the oven (don't worry, this won't hurt the seal of your oven) and is connected to the display. Mine has an alarm that will sound when the specified temperature is reached. You can get my exact probe here: http://www.lnt.com/show_product/240997-4555/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=240997-4555
There are many other cheaper or more expensive probes to choose from. Also, wireless ones are available. Always read the reviews before buying a product!
My perfect 3 lb. Pork Loin!
Notice the heat-resistant cable that goes into the oven.
**Recipe to follow. Remember, do not go by cook time. Meat is done when internal temperature reaches 140 degrees.
**This recipe calls for a 3 lb. Pork Loin. No matter how many lbs you choose to cook, you cook it the same way.
**Marinading the meat for a long period of time is not necessary, it will still taste delicious. However, the longer you marinade it, the even more delicious it will be. I've done it both ways.


No-Fail Pork Loin

Prep Time: 10 minutes    Cook Time: Approximately 1 hour & 1/2      Serves: 6-8
3 lb. Pork Loin
Marinade Time: 4 hours-overnight

Marinade Ingredients: (Yup, this is it!)
3/4 cup EVOO
1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
2 TBSP Garlic Powder
2 TBSP Italian Seasoning

Marinade a 3 lb. Pork Loin in a large Ziplock bag for desired time.
Put Pork Loin on foil lined cookie sheet. 
Insert probe into middle of thickest part of meat.
Set temperature on probe for 140 degrees.
Bake in pre heated oven of 330 degrees until the Pork Loin internal temperature of 140 degrees is reached. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect! My husband loves pork so this is right up our alley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, just wanted to tell ya that I tried your no fail pork loin recipe like the Sunday after you posted it and me and mine thought it was GREAT. Thanks for sharing :):)

    ReplyDelete